Old Dillon, before the dam
Dillon Community Church (DCC) has a colorful “Colorado mining town” history, which is so much a part of its charm. The church began in 1923, when the Dillon Ladies’ Aid Society purchased an abandoned little white schoolhouse, paying $1 for the building and turning it into a church. the little church sat empty a good share of the time-other than to accomodate the occasional traveling minister who happened by-until the Women’s Sunday School Movement opened the church to the children of the valley for weekly Sunday School. This movement continued in DCC until the early 1950’s, when the Village Missions organization called missionaries to Dillon. Pastor Wiley Hoyle arrived and opened the church doors to everyone. Pastor Hoyle was still serving when it was learned the entire town of Dillon would soon need to move, as the Denver Water Board was planning to build a new reservoir where the town stood.
Moving the church
When it came time to move the old church, it was the folks of the town and a grant from the new dam’s general contractor who dug up the foundation, manually loaded the church on the moving dolly, and slowly moved the church to its new location, within sight of the new “Lake Dillon.” Later, it was decided that the church needed a Sunday school space, so volunteers again donated their time, energy, and materials and made it happen.
Church in its new location, with Sunday School addtion
In the 1960’s, the county and the congregation grew by leaps and bounds, and a new church building was needed. Plans were drawn up and building began (again, mostly by volunteers) of a new “A-Frame” on a lot next to the old church, which was given back to the town of Dillon and now serves as the Summit Historical Society headquarters. In the 1980’s, with the construction of the Eisenhower and Johnson tunnels (’73 & ’79) giving greater access to the ski resorts, Summit County and the congregation again grew in numbers. This brought a full time pastor, Jess Mahon, and an increased vision for the gospel and reaching the lost, initiating our tradition of summer amphitheater services to reach those locals and visitors who might not otherwise come to a church service. By the mid-1990’s, the church became independent of Village Missions as DCC no longer fit the profile of a rural missionary church-and had outgrown the A-Frame space. Under the guidance of Pastor Brian Post, the current beautiful facility was completed in the fall of 2002. With this building project, as with others before, it was the people of the church who turned to the Lord for guidance and direction and made the project a success! The new century brought wonderful new challenges for DCC, and, in 2007, with the leadership of Pastor Brian Myers, expanded vision for DCC. The vision focuses on Intimacy with God, a Caring church-family Community, and Going Passionately to reach out to meet real needs within the community and the world. With outreach ministries as a primary focus, this historic church continues to blossom into a vital partner with Jesus Christ the Good News in the town of Dillon and in Summit County.